Snapping is computer-assisted alignment.
When you drag an object, as you closely approach a position of alignment with another object or the page, the object will “snap” (jump) to the alignment position, and snapping guidelines will indicate the alignment position used.
Hold to temporarily disable all snapping except for . This allows to quickly move objects only on whole units keeping designs pixel perfect.
Clicking directly on the Snap icon in the Toolbar will toggle snapping on or off. Clicking on the small arrow beside the icon reveals a menu of snapping options.
(1) Use Snapping – toggle snapping on/off
(2) Use Snap Zones – only snap to the edge(s) being dragged
(3) Snap to Grid – snap to the (optional) page grid, if visible
(4) Snap to Guide Lines – snap to guide lines, if created and visible
(5) Snap to Full Pixels – snap to avoid decimal pixel position
(6) Snap to Anchor Points – use anchor points of the selected path for snapping
(7) Snap to Shapes – snap to shape bounding boxes and center
(8) Snap to Pages – snap to page edges and center
(9) Show Grid – show/hide grid
(10) Show Guide Lines – show/hide guide lines
(11) Show Symbol Labels– show labels on master symbols on the canvas
Turn snapping off, or turn enabled snapping features on again. + or
For example, if only grid snapping and shape snapping are enabled, only those options are turned off/on by Use Snapping.
Use Snap Zones
Toggle Use Snap Zones to enable/disable snapping of the the side nearest to the cursor (where the cursor is grabbing the object) and ignore other snapping possibilities.
For example, if you want to snap the top side of the shape, grab the top side and drag it, if you want to snap left – drag the left side instead.
Here is a visual representation of a Snap zones.
(1) Snap Top side only
(2) Snap Top-Left side only
(3) Snap Top-Right side only
(4) Snap Left side only
(5) Snap Right side only
(6) Snap Left-Bottom side only
(7) Snap Right-Bottom side only
(8) Snap Bottom side only
(9) Snap Center only
Snap to Grid
With this setting on, and the grid showing, objects, tools, and selections will snap to the grid lines.
Snap to Guide Lines
Toggle the Snap to Guide lines to snap to the visible guidelines on the canvas.
Snap to Full Pixels
Toggle Snap to full pixel to enable disable snapping full pixel units without decimals in all of you transformations with objects. This is especially useful in UI and icon design.
Snap to Anchor Points
Toggle the Snap to anchor points to snap anchor points to the anchor points of the same objects and to the straight nodes of the others.
Snap to Shapes
Toggle Snap to Shapes to snap to bounding boxes, sides or center of the other shapes.
Snap to Pages
Toggle Snap to Pages to enable/disable snapping to the page boundaries and center of the page.